Titans begin roster purge, release OT Hopkins
Hopkins' release will save the Titans $4.6 million of cap room. The team entered Wednesday $18.7 million over the salary cap.
Hopkins' release wasn't a surprise considering he's 35 years old and he had an $11.1 million number that had swelled because the team kept using cap relief deals to keep him on the roster.
Hopkins has spent his entire 14 year career with the Titans dating back to their days in Houston. He played last season at 275 pounds. With Hopkins gone, the team could move Michael Roos from right tackle to left tackle. Roos has the athletic ability to be a candidate for the position.
John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Rodgers still not ready to return for Packers
- Welker likely out until playoffs, sources say
- Vikes' Peterson 'ready to roll' vs. Bengals
- Bears' Briggs medically cleared to return
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- 5th & Ocean Women's Tennessee Titans Full-Zip Navy Fleece Hoodie