Brother of former Charger reportedly shot

Updated: May 24, 2006, 6:55 PM ET
Associated Press

SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. -- Former San Diego Chargers wide receiver Mark Seay, wounded in a drive-by shooting nearly two decades ago, has reportedly lost a second brother to gun violence.

James Seay, 36, was found in the backyard of a home shortly after 7 p.m. Tuesday, police Sgt. Mike Desrochers said. The victim had been shot several times and was pronounced dead at the scene.

No arrests were made and other details were not released.

A relative at the scene told The Sun newspaper that Seay was the brother of Mark Seay, although the county coroner's office said it could not immediately confirm that. Witnesses also told the Sun they saw two men running from the home.

Repeated calls to a police spokesman were not returned Wednesday.

The coroner's Web site said the shooting occurred on North Muscupiabe Street. The home was once listed as Mark Seay's address, according to a property records search conducted by The Associated Press.

Seay, 39, grew up in San Bernardino, about 70 miles east of downtown Los Angeles.

The former wide receiver played five seasons in the National Football League before retiring in 1997. During his time with the Chargers, he caught the game-winning touchdown pass in a playoff game against Miami that sent the team to the Super Bowl. He caught seven passes during Super Bowl XXIX, which the Chargers lost to San Francisco.

A telephone message left at the home, which was identified on an answering machine as the Seay residence, was not immediately returned. A message left at the home of a Mark Seay in Laguna Hills also was not immediately returned.

Seay's brother, Elvin Seay Jr., was shot to death in January 2003 at a motel in San Bernardino. A man was convicted of second-degree murder.

Seay himself was shot on Halloween 1988 during a drive-by shooting as he shielded his niece. He lost a kidney in the attack, which left a bullet lodged in his body. At the time, he was playing for California State University, Long Beach. Two years after the attack, he had recovered enough to catch 48 passes in a Long Beach game.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press