Cowboys' Davis leaves hospital, optimistic about camp

Updated: July 18, 2006, 6:52 PM ET
Associated Press

DALLAS -- Dallas Cowboys safety Keith Davis checked out of the hospital Tuesday, recovering nicely from two gunshot wounds and remaining optimistic about making the start of training camp late next week.

"No one has said he's not going," agent Curtis Stephens said. "Our belief is that he is going to Oxnard, Calif., with the rest of the team. Medically, no one has said Keith will be unable to play football."

Davis, 27, was shot in the head and thigh while driving on a Dallas highway around 5 a.m. Sunday. Police have asked the public for help tracking down the gunman, whom they believe was more interested in the car than the driver.

Stephens said doctors kept Davis in the hospital through Tuesday purely as a precaution.

"He's excited with what doctors have shared with him," Stephens said, adding that privacy laws prevented him from giving more details. "Now he looks forward to continuing to assist the police in their ongoing investigation."

This marked the second time in three years that Davis has been shot a few weeks before the start of training camp. He's believed to have been an innocent bystander both times.

In June 2003, he was hit in the hip and elbow while picking up a friend at a topless club. He was then released on the first day of training camp. He rejoined the club the following season and became so valued that he started 15 games last season and, earlier this summer, received a two-year contract worth roughly $3 million, including about $2 million in bonus and salary this season.

Although he was already expected to be in a battle for his starting free safety spot, his roster spot seems secured, especially since he's considered the club's top special teams player. He was fourth on the club in tackles last season, first in special teams stops.

Players are due at training camp July 27, with practices beginning two days later.


Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press