New commissioner joined NFL in 1982
• Named NFL executive vice president and chief operating officer by Commissioner Paul Tagliabue in December 2001. Among his duties was serving as president of NFL Ventures, Inc. (which oversees the NFL's business units, including media properties, marketing and sales, consumer products, international, stadium development, special events, and strategic planning). He also ran the league's football operations and officiating departments.
|NFL leadership history|
*NFL treasurer Austin Gunsel served as president in the office of the commissioner after the death of Bert Bell, until the election of Pete Rozelle.
SOURCE: Pro Football Hall of Fame
• 1982: Joined league in 1982 as an intern in the NFL's offices in New York.
• 1983: Worked for the New York Jets in public relations and administration offices.
• 1984: Returned to the NFL's offices as a public relations assistant.
• 1987 Appointed assistant to Lamar Hunt, the president of the American Football Conference (AFC), by then-NFL Commissioner Rozelle.
• 1990: Served Tagliabue as director of international development and club administration, vice president of operations, vice president of business development, senior vice president of league and football development, executive vice president of business and football development, and executive vice president of business, properties and club services.
• Involved in expansion, realignment, stadium development, and international development, according to NFL Media Web site.
• Involved in launch of the NFL Network and negotiations for the NFL's television agreements and Collective Bargaining Agreement with the NFL Players' Association.
• Born in Jamestown, N.Y., on Feb. 19, 1959.
• Graduated from Washington & Jefferson College in 1981 with a degree in economics.
• Serves on the boards of the national and New York chapters of Big Brothers & Big Sisters.
• Officer of NFL Charities, the league's charitable foundation.
• Married to Jane; father of twin daughters.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Lynch offers statement, doesn't answer Q's
- 'Beast Mode' pop-up store doing brisk sales
- Gordon fires at critics in letter: I'm no addict
- Player: Seahawks miffed over HGH tests