Titans' Starks misses game after arrest for assault
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee defensive tackle Randy Starks missed the Titans' exhibition opener Saturday night after turning himself in following a charge that he assaulted his fiancee.
Starks had been slated to start against New Orleans, but Titans coach Jeff Fisher said after the 19-16 loss that he had dismissed the two-year veteran from the game.
"I told Randy there was no place for him here as far as being a part of the team tonight. What follows is a legal issue. Anything is between him and the club. I just felt it was best he did not participate with his teammates," Fisher said.
Don Aaron, a spokesman for Metro Nashville Police, didn't immediately answer messages left by The Associated Press on Saturday night.
WTVF-TV in Nashville reported that Starks turned himself into police about 90 minutes before kickoff after being charged with beating his 25-year-old fiancee at their home earlier in the day. The station cited a police report that said the woman lost some fingernails in the scuffle and had her head banged against a wall.
Starks was released after posting a $2,000 bond. He turns 23 in December and is the youngest of the returning Titans. He has played in 32 games, including 24 starts.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Sources: Cards will start Lindley again at QB
- Falcons RB Jackson likely out, sources say
- Harbaugh's brother: Family staying out of it
- Peyton intent on playing for Broncos in 2015