Robbins gets five years' probation for brawl with police

Updated: August 21, 2006, 2:43 PM ET
Associated Press

MIAMI -- Former NFL lineman Barret Robbins was placed on probation Monday and ordered to continue treatment for bipolar disorder under a plea agreement resulting from a brawl with police who shot him.

Robbins, 32, got five years' probation under the agreement approved last week by Miami-Dade County Circuit Judge Leon Firtel, who also ordered him to avoid alcohol while on probation. Firtel found Robbins guilty of five charges -- including attempted murder and battery. The remaining charges were dropped.

"We felt this was the most appropriate outcome," said Ed Griffith, a spokesman for Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle.

The case had been scheduled to go to trial Aug. 28. Robbins' lawyer did not immediately return a phone call to The Associated Press seeking comment.

Robbins, once a Pro Bowl center for the Oakland Raiders, was shot three times and seriously wounded during the Jan. 15, 2005, brawl with police who were answering a burglary call at a Miami Beach building. Three police officers were injured in the melee, including one whose head was rammed into a wall.

During one pretrial hearing, Robbins said he had "come a long way" since that fight and understood that he must remain on medication to treat his bipolar disorder.

The police brawl was the most violent of several bizarre episodes involving Robbins. In 2003, he disappeared from the Raiders in the days before the Super Bowl in San Diego and was deactivated for the game after showing up incoherent the night before.

Robbins regained his spot in the starting lineup the next season after undergoing treatment at an alcohol rehabilitation center, then was released in 2004 by the Raiders after testing positive for steroids. He was arrested for allegedly hitting a security guard in San Francisco before the Miami Beach fight.


Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press