Colts put Reagor on NFI list, ending comeback hopes
The Indianapolis Colts officially ended the comeback hopes of Montae Reagor for 2006, placing the eight-year veteran defensive tackle on the non-football injury list, making him ineligible to play again this year.
Reagor, 29, suffered facial and head injuries in an Oct. 22 accident just hours before the Colts were to meet the Washington Redskins, and he has not played since. The standout tackle underwent surgery for his injuries and lately has been around the team's complex.
Only a week ago, there were indications that Reagor, who started the first five games of the season and had 10 tackles and one sack, was making good progress. There was some hope, in fact, that Reagor might be able to return for the final one or two games of the regular season in an effort to get back into shape for the playoffs. But the move to the NFI list on Wednesday officially ended that possibility.
Indianapolis used the roster spot to finalize a one-year contract with 17-year veteran wide receiver Ricky Proehl. ESPN.com earlier this week reported the addition of Proehl, 38, who has 666 career receptions for 8,848 yards and 54 touchdowns.
Proehl practiced with the Colts for the first time Wednesday, and coach Tony Dungy said he did well in picking up the offensive terminology. Dungy also said that starting tight end Dallas Clark, who injured his right knee in last Sunday's victory over Philadelphia, will not be placed on injured reserve. Clark will likely miss a few weeks with the injury, but team officials were encouraged by an MRI exam.
The loss of Reagor means the Colts are without two of their top three projected defensive tackles for 2006. Corey Simon underwent arthroscopic knee surgery in the summer, never played a game, and was placed on the non-football injury list in early October with what is believed to be a polyarthritic condition.
Simon has filed a grievance through the NFL Players Association against the Colts because the team opted not to pay him the balance of his 2006 salary. It is not yet known if the Colts, who carried Reagor on the active roster for the past six weeks, will pay the balance of his $1.3 million salary for 2006.
Because of the injuries at tackle, the Colts acquired veteran Anthony McFarland from Tampa Bay at the trade deadline, and the former Bucs' star now starts with Raheem Brock, the lone holdover from the top three tackles in preseason. The backup tackles remain Darrell Reid and Dan Klecko.
Reagor has been an excellent player for the Colts since joining the team as an unrestricted free agent in 2003. He has started in all but two of his 47 appearances, and has 159 tackles and 12 sacks. Many in the NFL felt he was deserving of a Pro Bowl invitation in 2005.
The former Texas Tech standout has 231 tackles, 16 sacks, four forced fumbles and five recoveries for his career. He has played in 92 games and started 46 of them. Prior to signing with the Colts, Reagor played four seasons (1999-2002) with the Denver Broncos.
Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- DE Freeney, Chargers agree to contract
- Mario Williams' ex alleges suicide-talk texts
- Source: Gronkowski may need back surgery
- Jets' Goodson arrested for drugs, weapons