Winslow fined for hit that provoked Porter comments
A Fine Mess
Browns tight end Kellen Winslow wasn't the only player fined by the NFL this week. He had plenty of company:
• Rams linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa was fined $5,000 as a result of his roughing-the-passer penalty Monday. Specifically, Tinoisamoa was cited for hitting Rex Grossman at the knees.
• Rams strong safety Corey Chavous was fined $5,000 for a late hit.
• Rookie Bears defensive end Mark Anderson was fined $5,000 for striking St. Louis quarterback Marc Bulger in the head on a sack.
The play in question occurred with 6:40 remaining in the Thursday night game at Heinz Field. On a first-and-10 from the Cleveland 48-yard line, quarterback Derek Anderson completed an 8-yard pass to tailback Reuben Droughns. After the whistle, Winslow hit Pittsburgh inside linebacker James Farrior and drew a 15-yard unnecessary roughness penalty.
The Cleveland possession culminated in a 45-yard touchdown pass to Braylon Edwards.
Several Steelers players were incensed by Winslow's actions, none more so than the outspoken Porter, who charged the Browns' tight end with being "soft." Porter subsequently made the controversial comments that resulted in the $10,000 fine.
It is not known if Winslow will appeal the $5,000 fine.
Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com. To check out Len's chat archive, click here .
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Reports: Saints to release Sproles if no trade
- Judge says Sharper can't be held indefinitely
- Source: Vikings to re-sign Cassel for 2 years
- Saints release veteran receiver Moore
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's Home Game Jersey Cleveland Browns Brandon Weeden #3
- NFL Home
- AFC East
- Buffalo Bills
- Miami Dolphins
- NE Patriots
- New York Jets
- AFC West
- Denver Broncos
- Kansas City Chiefs
- Oakland Raiders
- San Diego Chargers
- AFC North
- Baltimore Ravens
- Cincinnati Bengals
- Cleveland Browns
- Pittsburgh Steelers
- AFC South
- Houston Texans
- Indianapolis Colts
- Jacksonville Jaguars
- Tennessee Titans
- NFL Nation
- Free-Agent Tracker