Jets sign free-agent DL Haynes from Saints
Haynes, Chicago's first-round draft pick out of Penn State in 2003, was cut by the Bears before last season. Haynes was signed by New Orleans after training camp, but was inactive for the Saints' opener before being released.
Haynes, who switched to defensive tackle from end during the preseason with the Bears, started four games in his three NFL seasons, playing in 43. He has 5 career sacks and returned an interception for a touchdown in 2004.
Haynes was the 2002 Big Ten defensive player of the year after 15 sacks as a senior for the Nittany Lions, and was the 14th player selected overall in 2003. Haynes' value fell when the Bears switched defensive systems two years ago under Lovie Smith.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Colts owner Irsay faces four felony counts
- Broncos sign WR Sanders to 3-year deal
- Texans' Foster medically cleared to return
- Saints bring back RT Strief on five-year deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Franklin New Orleans Saints Kids' Deluxe Uniform Set