Edwards pledging $1 million to fund scholarships
Edwards' foundation is choosing 100 eighth-graders from the city's 58,000-student district for the program, which will include mentoring and tutoring. The students will also volunteer for 15 hours of community service each year and will not be allowed unexcused absences, the Browns said in a statement.
Edwards is scheduled to announce the program on Wednesday, along with the 100 students and Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson, at Lincoln-West High School.
The program follows Edwards' decision last year to donate $500,000 to the University of Michigan, where Edwards played from 2001-2004, to create a scholarship endowment for football players.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Seahawks' Lynch starts holdout over contract
- Steelers holding off on new Big Ben contract
- Cowboys' McClain convicted, already appeals
- Saints TE Graham glad contract 'mess' over
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Fathead Colt McCoy Wall Graphic