Broncos' Kircus hit with restraining order after arrest

Updated: May 22, 2007, 3:52 PM ET
Associated Press

DENVER -- Broncos receiver David Kircus was ordered Tuesday to stay away from the man he is suspecting of assaulting at a weekend party and to return to court Friday, when charges are expected to be filed.

David Kircus


After his initial court appearance, Kircus participated in the team's passing camp session but he avoided reporters afterward by sprinting off the field ahead of his teammates when practice ended early because of a downpour. He ducked into team headquarters before reporters could reach him.

Kircus also declined comment after his court hearing Tuesday, where a judge issued the restraining order one day after Kircus was arrested on suspicion of second-degree assault. District attorney's spokesman Michael Knight said the order, which also bars Kircus from contacting any witnesses, is routine in such cases.

Kircus, who resumed his NFL career last season after spending a year away from football working in a fast-food shop, is free on $6,000 bail. If convicted, he could be sentenced to two to six years in prison.

His job also could be in jeopardy.

"Obviously, if he didn't handle himself the right way he won't be with us," coach Mike Shanahan said on Monday. "But I'm going to let the due process take care of itself first and find out exactly what the situation is."

The restraining order was issued during a brief hearing in Arapahoe County District Court in suburban Centennial. Neither Kircus nor his attorney, Harvey Steinberg, would comment afterward. Kircus, wearing a suit and tie, said nothing during the hearing.

The order also bars Kircus from drinking or possessing alcohol. Steinberg argued against that provision, but the judge let it stand and said it could be challenged again at Friday's hearing.

Knight said prosecutors likely will file charges against Kircus on Friday.

Sheriff's investigators said Kircus got into an argument when he was asked to leave a party early Sunday, hit a man and broke bones in his face. The man was treated at a hospital. His condition and the extent of his injuries were not available, and his name was not released.

Kircus met with Shanahan on Monday before going to the sheriff's department to turn himself in while his teammates participated in passing camp. The coach said what Kircus told him was "a much different story from obviously what came across from the other person."

Kircus is a backup receiver and return specialist who joined the team last season. He had nine receptions for a team-leading 20.8 yards per catch and returned six punts for a 14.3-yard average last season.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press