Test results: Johnson's blood alcohol level was .072

GILBERT, Ariz. -- Blood tests show former Chicago Bears
defensive tackle Tank Johnson's blood alcohol level was below the
legal limit when he was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving
June 22, police said Monday.

Johnson's blood alcohol level was .072, under the presumptive
limit in Arizona of .08 percent, Gilbert police Sgt. Andrew Duncan
said. No charges have been filed pending results of a completed
investigation, and Duncan declined further comment.

Under Arizona law, Johnson could still face a charge for "impairment to the slightest degree." The state has separate charges for blood alcohol levels of .08 or higher and .15 or higher. The "slightest degree" charge usually accompanies the other charges, but the state does not have to show any blood alcohol level to bring the minimum charge.

Lorna Propes, an attorney for Johnson, emphasized Monday
that the player hadn't been charged "and the fact that his blood
level came back as it did is certainly encouraging."

Johnson, whose legal name is Terry Darnell Johnson, was arrested
when officers pulled him over at 3:30 a.m. for driving 40 mph in a
25 mph zone. Duncan said an officer placed him under arrest because
he believed Johnson was under the influence of alcohol. He was
released without being booked or charged after providing a blood
sample, and police said he was very cooperative.

Johnson, 25, was released by the Chicago Bears three days after
his arrest. The team said it was "upset and embarrassed" by the
defensive tackle's legal troubles.

The Bears declined comment Monday.

Johnson had already had been suspended for the first eight games
of the 2007 NFL season for violating probation on a gun charge. He
spent two months in jail and was released in May.

Last December, police raided the 300-pound Johnson's suburban
Chicago home and found six unregistered firearms -- a violation of
his probation on an earlier gun charge.

Two days after the December raid, Willie B. Posey, Johnson's
bodyguard, was shot and killed in an early morning fight while he
and Johnson were at a Chicago nightclub.

Johnson was suspended by the Bears for one game for being at the
club. He played in the Super Bowl as the Bears lost to

In March, Johnson began his two-month jail stint. In May, he
pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor weapons charge from the December
raid as part of a deal with prosecutors that kept him from serving
more time in jail.

Johnson was chosen by the Bears in the second round of the 2004
draft out of Washington. He played in 46 games, starting 15.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.