Seven-year veteran spent entire '06 season on PUP list

Originally Published: July 13, 2007
By Len Pasquarelli | ESPN.com

Corey Simon

Simon

Despite published reports to the contrary, the Indianapolis Colts have not moved defensive tackle Corey Simon to their active roster, and the seven-year veteran, who missed the entire 2006 season, remains on the NFL's physically unable to perform list.

Several media outlets reported Friday that Simon was moved from the PUP list, where he spent all last season with what the Colts reported was a case of polyarthritis. But a league spokesman said that Simon was still on the PUP list and that a notation on the NFL.com site, indicating that he had been activated, was actually a clerical error.

The notation has since been removed from the site.

It was believed, when Simon was reported to have been activated, that the move might be a procedural one, a precursor to his release. The strong likelihood is that Simon will indeed be released before the start of training camp.

Team officials said last month they continue to gather information on Simon's condition and have made no determination on his future. But he certainly no longer fits into the plans of the defending Super Bowl champions, who paid an exorbitant amount for his brief history with the team.

Simon, 30, has cost the Colts more than $14 million in two years but has produced very little. Indianapolis signed him to a five-year, $30 million as a free agent in 2005, shortly after the Philadelphia Eagles released him. The former Florida State star, who entered the league as a first-round pick of the Eagles in 2000, started 13 games in 2005 and compiled 41 tackles and no sacks but did not make much of an impact.

Last spring, Simon underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left knee, missed camp and was eventually placed on the PUP list with what Colts officials said was polyarthritis.

Indianapolis withheld $1.9 million of Simon's scheduled base salary of $2.5 million and he has two grievances pending against the franchise. The Colts had attempted to recover an $8 million option bonus paid to Simon in 2006 but were unable to do so because of a ruling in a similar case involving former Denver wide receiver Ashley Lelie.

The Colts did not invite Simon to accompany them when they visited the White House this spring or to the ceremony at which players received their Super Bowl XLI rings last month.

Simon said earlier this spring that he continues to rehabilitate and that he hopes to resume his career. There are three years remaining on his contract with Indianapolis, at base salaries of $3.955 million (2007), $5 million (2008) and $5 million (2009).

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.