Strahan ends holdout after incurring $514K in fines
After 24 hours of soul-searching and a conversation with general manager Jerry Reese, seven-time Pro Bowl defensive end Michael Strahan has decided to end his holdout and report to the New York Giants.
Clayton: Back In Blue
Michael Strahan decided to end his holdout a week later than expected because he felt it was time to play some football.
Even though he was training hard in Los Angeles, Strahan couldn't bare the thoughts of coming to New York for a fourth pre-season game. If forecasts are true and the Giants face the possibility of a nine- or 10-loss season, it's hard for a player with Strahan's energy to gather the psyche to play for the team. Players deal with pain, and it's hard to focus on a game if there is doubts about a team's chances of winning.
The Giants need Strahan probably more than he needs them. He provides a fire and personality to that team. Without him, they don't have a true personality.
Strahan leads by example. He makes life on defense fun. He's a character and he's a great player.
This may not be the best of seasons for the Giants. But it wouldn't be the same without Strahan. It was time for him to end his holdout.
•  Garrard to be starting QB
-- John Clayton, senior NFL writer
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Rodgers still not ready to return for Packers
- Welker likely out until playoffs, sources say
- Vikes' Peterson 'ready to roll' vs. Bengals
- Bears' Briggs medically cleared to return
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
NFL TRAINING CAMPS
The countdown is on toward the start of the 2007 season; rosters were trimmed to 75 by Tuesday and reached 53 by Saturday. The regular season starts Sept. 6 when the Saints visit Indianapolis to face the Super Bowl champion Colts. Camp index
Analysis• Clayton: Waiver claims interesting
• Clayton: Big cutdown day on Saturday
• Redskins re-sign Cooley
• Priest Holmes comeback on hold
• Bengals acquire QB Fitzpatrick from Rams
• Seahawks lose DT Tubbs for season
• DT Simon agrees to deal with Titans
• Pats' Samuel signs one-year franchise tender
• Giants, Strahan have constructive talks
• Ogden passes physical, returns to Ravens roster
• Browns place center Bentley on PUP list
• Roundup: Two-time Olympic skier Bloom cut by Eagles
• Roundup: Steelers' Ward has nose surgery
- Turner Licensing New York Giants 2014 Team Box Calendar