Hargrove gets $300 fine, community service for guilty plea

Updated: October 15, 2007, 3:13 PM ET
Associated Press

ROCHESTER, N.Y. -- Buffalo Bills defensive end Anthony Hargrove pleaded guilty Monday to disorderly conduct, drawing a $300 fine and 200 hours of community service for an altercation with police outside a Rochester nightclub in August.

Anthony Hargrove


Hargrove, 24, was charged with resisting arrest, criminal mischief and harassment after police said he broke an officer's eyeglasses during an early morning encounter on Aug. 5 while the Bills were in town for preseason training camp.

His brother Terrence, 25, also pleaded guilty to one count of disorderly conduct and was ordered to serve 200 hours of community service. The brothers offered to work with the Boys & Girls Club of Rochester, including setting up a football camp like one they run in Port Charlotte, Fla.

"It's another thing I can finally get to put behind me," Hargrove said outside court. "I really now get the focus on football. ... The city of Rochester, I'm asking them for forgiveness for what happened early in August and hopefully now we can start some positive things."

Hargrove saw his first action of the season in last week's loss to Dallas after being suspended for four games for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. The Bills considered releasing him, but kept him after reserve defensive end Ryan Denney broke his left foot in a preseason loss to Atlanta.

Hargrove could face further punishment from the NFL. A spokesman, Corry Rush, said Monday the case "will be reviewed under the league's personal conduct policy."

Hargrove said he hasn't spoken to the officer he clashed with but offered an apology to him and the entire police force. He declined to discuss in detail what happened.

"There's a few discrepancies here and there but I really don't want to get [into] stories here," he said. "It's over, the matter's been dealt with."

According to witness statements, police were breaking up a large crowd when Hargrove drove an SUV the wrong way on a one-way street. When police appeared, Terrence Hargrove began quarreling with an officer, which is when a person matching Anthony Hargrove's description joined in, a witness said.

The officer whose glasses were broken said Anthony Hargrove resisted arrest "by swinging his arms at officers, kicking his feet at officers, and refusing to place his hands behind his back for handcuffing."

Hargrove is entering his second season with Buffalo after the Bills acquired him in a trade with St. Louis in October. He appeared in 10 games with Buffalo last season. A restricted free agent this offseason, he was re-signed by the Bills to a one-year, $850,000 contract.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press