Pacman's 2007 suspension upheld after NFL denies union appeal
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The NFL rejected an appeal by the players' union Thursday on behalf of suspended Titans cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones.
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell turned down Jones' request for leniency Nov. 6. The NFL Players' Association appealed that ruling as excessive and had a hearing by telephone Dec. 14. But Jones must serve the final two games of his season-long suspension.
"Commissioner Goodell notified Adam Jones today that his suspension for the 2007 season will not be modified," the league said in a statement.
"Once the Titans have concluded their 2007 season, Jones may begin limited activities at the club's facility and, assuming no further problems, will be eligible to participate fully in Tennessee's off-season workout program."
Jones' attorney, Manny Arora, did not immediately return a message left on his cell phone. The players' union did not immediately return a message left by The Associated Press.
The Titans (8-6) are contending for their first playoff berth since 2003.
Goodell suspended the sixth pick overall in the 2005 draft for the season in April. Las Vegas police said Jones incited a strip club fight that led to a triple shooting Feb. 19, leaving one man paralyzed. He pleaded no contest in early December to a disorderly conduct charge, agreeing to a year probation, random drug testing, community service and anger management classes.
Jones has been arrested six times since being drafted, including two arrests in Georgia in 2006 that the Titans did not learn about until 2007.
Charges in two other cases are pending. A felony obstruction charge in Georgia from February 2006 is on a court docket for March, and public intoxication and disorderly conduct charges in Tennessee from August 2006 are on a court docket for Jan. 3.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Rivers, Chargers hand Broncos rare home loss
- Three men stabbed in Broncos' parking lot
- Rangers take Seahawks QB Wilson in draft
- Bears to start Cutler at QB against Browns
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
NFL'S ZERO TOLERANCE
Roger Goodell is cracking down on the player misconduct that's plagued his term as NFL commissioner, suspending Tennessee's Adam "Pacman" Jones (right) for the 2007 season and Cincinnati's Chris Henry and Tank Johnson (left) for eight games. Henry and Johnson have since been reinstated after serving their penalties.
Pacman News• Judge cuts Titans out of Pacman lawsuit in Vegas
• Titans try to quash shooting victim's lawsuit
• NFL denies Pacman's appeal to return in 2007
• Union appeals Pacman's 'excessive' suspension
• NFL to hear union's appeal on Pacman's behalf
• Pacman pleads no contest in strip club melee
• Goodell reviewing union Pacman appeal
• Judge accepts 'Pacman' plea agreement
• Report: Pacman to accept Las Vegas plea deal
• Union appeals to commish to reduce Pacman ban
• Union to appeal ruling that Pacman must sit year
• Report: Some Titans want Pacman back
• Pacman won't be reinstated early
• Uncertainty surrounds Pacman's talk with Goodell
• Pacman, Goodell to meet, discuss reinstatement
• Vegas evidentiary hearing postponed
• Strip club manager sues Pacman, Titans, NFL
• Report: Pacman says he's earned early return
• Pacman wins tag-team title
• Pacman to try hand at hip-hop
• Pacman to set record straight in interview
• Pacman makes TNA debut
• Titans obtain order to stop Pacman from wrestling
• Pacman's ticket violations dismissed
• Pacman makes first TNA appearance
• Arrests? By Pacman's count, he's only had two
• Agent: Pacman won't wrestle for TNA
• Pacman defense expected to enter not guilty plea
• NFL may allow Pacman to work out with Titans
• Lawyer: Deputy pledged to pull over Pacman
• Vegas charges may affect Pacman's Tenn. plea
• Vegas bouncer sues Pacman
• VY: Teammates feel Pacman doesn't care
• Cops seek Pacman about shooting involving crew
• Paralyzed victim rebuilds life
• Sources: Pacman at strip club before hearing
• Pacman takes out ad to apologize
• NFL bans Pacman for 2007 season
• Pacman-related incidents
Johnson News• Johnson: Cowboys 'great opportunity'
• Johnson agrees to deal with Cowboys
• Johnson doesn't blame Bears for waiving him
• Johnson won't face charges in Arizona
• Bears waive Tank Johnson
• Tank Johnson suspended eight games
Henry News• Henry in altercation with parking attendant
• Ky. confirms Henry didn't fail test
• Bengals hope Henry gets message
Analysis• Pasquarelli: Bears have no regrets
• Clayton: Tank suspension makes sense
• Pasquarelli: Titans picking up hte pieces
• Garber: Pacman gifted on field, troubled off it
• Ex-Titans GM Reese: We tried to help Pacman
- Siskiyou Gifts Tennessee Titans License Plate Frame