Rivers has surgery on torn ACL, will rehab up to 6 months
The surgery was performed by Dr. David Chao of the team's medical staff. Rivers will rehab for up to six months.
Rivers was hurt in a 28-24 victory over the Indianapolis Colts in the divisional playoffs, but was able to play Sunday in the Chargers' 21-12 loss to undefeated New England in the AFC championship game.
Rivers revealed Monday that he had arthroscopic surgery a day after the Indianapolis game to clean out damaged cartilage. He said that was the only way he was able to play against the Patriots.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Sources: Peyton may decide to return soon
- Sources: NFL probes Falcons' fake crowd noise
- Hernandez murder trial delayed by weather
- Sources: Jets, Bills eye Revis in free agency
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Boys' Home Game Jersey San Diego Chargers Philip Rivers #17