Receiver Patten gets two-year deal to stay with Saints
METAIRIE, La. -- David Patten, who was among the Saints' leading wide receivers last season, agreed to a new two-year contract with New Orleans on Monday.
Patten's 792 receiving yards were second on the team last season while his 54 receptions ranked third. Patten also had three touchdowns.
"David stepped into our lineup immediately last season and provided immediate leadership and he was a consistent and dependable target," Saints general manager Mickey Loomis said. "He is a consummate professional and his work ethic and leadership skills, coupled with the things he can do on the field made his re-signing a priority for us."
During his 11-year career, Patten has caught 313 passes for 4,553 yards and 23 touchdowns. He was part of three Super Bowl-winning teams in New England.
HashmarksESPN.com's Matt Mosley, Mike Sando and Pat Yasinskas are following the NFL free-agency frenzy and sharing their thoughts. Get the latest news from the always updated Hashmarks.
New Orleans recently acquired linebacker Jonathan Vilma in a trade with the Jets on Friday, then reached free-agent deals with former Patriots cornerback Randall Gay and former Jacksonville Jaguars defensive end to Bobby McCray.
Meanwhile, free agent quarterback Trent Green visited the Saints' headquarters. The two-time Pro Bowl quarterback, who is 37, was released by Miami last month.
The Saints currently have only two quarterbacks under contract: starter Drew Brees and reserve Tyler Palko, who was the third-stringer last season behind Jamie Martin. Martin, 38, is currently a free agent.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Sherman still holds grudge against Crabtree
- Report: Raiders in talks to demolish Coliseum
- Redskins S Jackson banned indefinitely again
- Mathieu advice to Gordon: Pick yourself up
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
2008 FREE AGENCY
NFL teams began shopping for free agents on Feb. 29, with approximately 320 players available. Randy Moss (right), one of the top free agents available, re-signed with the Pats.
• Free-agent tracker
Commentary/Features• Paolantonio: Raiders wasting cash on Hall
• Clayton: Raiders immersed in spending spree
• Yasinskas: Bucs spending wisely
• Third And Short: Free-agent analysis
• Clayton: Best remaining players
• Clayton: Top 10 free-agent gambles
• Yasinskas: Saints rolling dice on Vilma, Morgan
• Sando: Role players cashing in
• Yasinskas: Jets improved, but QB remains issue
• Yasinskas: Browns focused on winning
• Clayton: Moss-Patriots deal meant to be
• Clayton: Winners and losers
• Chadiha: Reese sets the standard for rookie GMs
• Yasinskas: Five aggressive teams in the market
• Pasquarelli: Big payoffs await less-heralded FAs
• Clayton: It's better to keep your own guys
• Research: Top 10 free agents of all time
• Yasinskas: Redskins to try new approach
• Joyner: Evaluating four big names
• Chadiha: Dealing with the franchise tag
• Panthers continue O-line makeover, sign Brown
• Browns help LB depth, sign Orr to 1-year contract March 20
• Pats agree to deal with CB Bryant
• Roundup: Rams re-sign Romberg March 19
• Packers agree with LB Chillar
• Bengals' Andrews signs franchise tender
• Punter Turk re-signs with Texans
• Colts keep defensive end Thomas with new deal
- Wild Sports New Orleans Saints Tim Wolfe Series Desktop Helmet Statue