Browns' recently acquired defensive tackle gets 6-year deal
The Cleveland Browns moved quickly to acquire former Detroit Lions defensive tackle Shaun Rogers after a trade with the Bengals was nixed, and moved just as fast in securing him to a long-term contract.
Rogers and the Browns agreed to a six-year, $42 million deal on Wednesday, a restructuring that will keep him in Cleveland until 2013. With his existing contract scheduled to expire in 2010, three years and a guaranteed $20 million were added to make the deal work.
Under terms of the new contract, Rogers will make $23 million over the first three years.
The Browns acquired Rogers on Saturday in exchange for a third-round draft choice and cornerback Leigh Bodden. When the league nixed a proposed trade that would have sent Rogers to Cincinnati for third- and fourth-round draft picks, the Lions quickly recovered and moved him to the Browns, who had just traded for Packers defensive tackle Corey Williams.
The deal for Rogers completes a $113 million flurry of contracts negotiated by his agent, Kennard McGuire. Before the start of free agency last week, McGuire worked to have wide receiver Andre Davis re-sign with the Texans for four years and $16 million, $8 million of which is guaranteed. On Tuesday, McGuire negotiated Javon Walker's $55 million, six-year agreement ($16 million guaranteed) with the Raiders.
Senior writer John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com.
2008 FREE AGENCY
NFL teams began shopping for free agents on Feb. 29, with approximately 320 players available. Randy Moss (right), one of the top free agents available, re-signed with the Pats.
• Free-agent tracker
Commentary/Features• Paolantonio: Raiders wasting cash on Hall
• Clayton: Raiders immersed in spending spree
• Yasinskas: Bucs spending wisely
• Third And Short: Free-agent analysis
• Clayton: Best remaining players
• Clayton: Top 10 free-agent gambles
• Yasinskas: Saints rolling dice on Vilma, Morgan
• Sando: Role players cashing in
• Yasinskas: Jets improved, but QB remains issue
• Yasinskas: Browns focused on winning
• Clayton: Moss-Patriots deal meant to be
• Clayton: Winners and losers
• Chadiha: Reese sets the standard for rookie GMs
• Yasinskas: Five aggressive teams in the market
• Pasquarelli: Big payoffs await less-heralded FAs
• Clayton: It's better to keep your own guys
• Research: Top 10 free agents of all time
• Yasinskas: Redskins to try new approach
• Joyner: Evaluating four big names
• Chadiha: Dealing with the franchise tag
• Panthers continue O-line makeover, sign Brown
• Browns help LB depth, sign Orr to 1-year contract March 20
• Pats agree to deal with CB Bryant
• Roundup: Rams re-sign Romberg March 19
• Packers agree with LB Chillar
• Bengals' Andrews signs franchise tender
• Punter Turk re-signs with Texans
• Colts keep defensive end Thomas with new deal
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Nike Men's Home Game Jersey Cleveland Browns Jabaal Sheard #97