Running back Bell signs one-year deal with Lions, will compete for starting job
Bell, 26, agreed to a one-year, $1.6 million deal to stay with the Lions. He came to the Lions last season from the Broncos in a trade that included tackle George Foster. Foster agreed to a one-year, $1.1 million deal over the weekend.
With Kevin Jones coming off a torn ACL, Bell will be given the chance to start this season. He started four games for the Lions in 2007 and had 182 yards on 44 carries last year.
In his final season with the Broncos in 2006, Bell had 1,025 yards and a 4.4-yard average. On any given play, Bell has the ability to break a long run because he has great speed and elusiveness.
If Bell has a great season, he is hoping to hit a big payday in 2009.
Senior writer John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com.
2008 FREE AGENCY
NFL teams began shopping for free agents on Feb. 29, with approximately 320 players available. Randy Moss (right), one of the top free agents available, re-signed with the Pats.
• Free-agent tracker
Commentary/Features• Paolantonio: Raiders wasting cash on Hall
• Clayton: Raiders immersed in spending spree
• Yasinskas: Bucs spending wisely
• Third And Short: Free-agent analysis
• Clayton: Best remaining players
• Clayton: Top 10 free-agent gambles
• Yasinskas: Saints rolling dice on Vilma, Morgan
• Sando: Role players cashing in
• Yasinskas: Jets improved, but QB remains issue
• Yasinskas: Browns focused on winning
• Clayton: Moss-Patriots deal meant to be
• Clayton: Winners and losers
• Chadiha: Reese sets the standard for rookie GMs
• Yasinskas: Five aggressive teams in the market
• Pasquarelli: Big payoffs await less-heralded FAs
• Clayton: It's better to keep your own guys
• Research: Top 10 free agents of all time
• Yasinskas: Redskins to try new approach
• Joyner: Evaluating four big names
• Chadiha: Dealing with the franchise tag
• Panthers continue O-line makeover, sign Brown
• Browns help LB depth, sign Orr to 1-year contract March 20
• Pats agree to deal with CB Bryant
• Roundup: Rams re-sign Romberg March 19
• Packers agree with LB Chillar
• Bengals' Andrews signs franchise tender
• Punter Turk re-signs with Texans
• Colts keep defensive end Thomas with new deal