Reports: Carter chooses Bucs over Raiders

Updated: March 18, 2008, 1:30 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

Defensive end Kevin Carter has reportedly decided to re-sign with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers rather than sign with the Oakland Raiders.

Kevin Carter

Carter

The Tampa Tribune and St. Petersburg Times are reporting that Carter agreed to a one-year deal to return to Tampa Bay, spurning a two-year offer from Oakland. He reportedly will make less than what he was paid last year before the Bucs cut him last month in a salary cap move to avoid paying a roster bonus.

"It was big money he turned down, but he went with his heart rather than the pocket," Carter's agent, Harold Lewis, told the Tampa Tribune. "A lot of people would have taken the wallet. Taken more money and the guarantees to go to another city. Kevin has been playing for a long time, he's 34 years old, saved a lot of money and found a place he and his family would like to call home for the next 34 years."

The Tampa Tribune reported that Carter will compete for the starting spot at left defensive end with Greg White and the newly acquired Marques Douglas.

"In the end, he realized he's never been happier playing football," Lewis told the St. Petersburg Times.

Carter had 73 tackles, three sacks, a forced fumble and fumble recovery in his first season with the Buccaneers. He has played in every game during his 13-year NFL career with Tampa Bay, Miami, Tennessee and St. Louis.

Carter, who has 100½ career sacks, was a first-round pick out of Florida in 1995 by the Rams.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.