Punter Turk, 39, gets two-year deal to return to Texans
NFL life may not be beginning for punter Matt Turk at the age of 39, but it's definitely continuing.
Turk, 39, agreed to a two-year, $2.35 million deal, which includes a $500,000 signing bonus, to stay in Houston. The fact that he was able to get a two-year deal at his age shows how well he won over the locker room and front office with his kicking.
Most punters and place-kickers at his age are either out of football or receiving the minimum salary annually to play. Turk, who has punted for the Redskins, Dolphins, Jets and Rams, came to the Texans last year and had one of his better seasons.
He had a 41.7 gross punting average, but what was most impressive was his 37.9 net, best in his career. His agent, David Canter, said Turk became actively involved in negotiations with Texans general manager Rick Smith to work out a deal that ran longer than one year.
John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Crabtree responds to Sherman: Tired of talk
- Jones-Drew: London deserves an NFL team
- Johnson: Lions 'need to win a Super Bowl'
- Pack hold off Favre return, afraid of booing
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
2008 FREE AGENCY
NFL teams began shopping for free agents on Feb. 29, with approximately 320 players available. Randy Moss (right), one of the top free agents available, re-signed with the Pats.
• Free-agent tracker
Commentary/Features• Paolantonio: Raiders wasting cash on Hall
• Clayton: Raiders immersed in spending spree
• Yasinskas: Bucs spending wisely
• Third And Short: Free-agent analysis
• Clayton: Best remaining players
• Clayton: Top 10 free-agent gambles
• Yasinskas: Saints rolling dice on Vilma, Morgan
• Sando: Role players cashing in
• Yasinskas: Jets improved, but QB remains issue
• Yasinskas: Browns focused on winning
• Clayton: Moss-Patriots deal meant to be
• Clayton: Winners and losers
• Chadiha: Reese sets the standard for rookie GMs
• Yasinskas: Five aggressive teams in the market
• Pasquarelli: Big payoffs await less-heralded FAs
• Clayton: It's better to keep your own guys
• Research: Top 10 free agents of all time
• Yasinskas: Redskins to try new approach
• Joyner: Evaluating four big names
• Chadiha: Dealing with the franchise tag
• Panthers continue O-line makeover, sign Brown
• Browns help LB depth, sign Orr to 1-year contract March 20
• Pats agree to deal with CB Bryant
• Roundup: Rams re-sign Romberg March 19
• Packers agree with LB Chillar
• Bengals' Andrews signs franchise tender
• Punter Turk re-signs with Texans
• Colts keep defensive end Thomas with new deal
- Photo File Houston Texans Reliant Stadium Framed Photo