Packers jump into free-agent waters with LB Chillar
Chillar's agent, Jim Ivler, said Wednesday the contract contains incentives that could raise its overall value to $6.4 million.
"I won't say that they committed to a role, but based upon my confidence in my client, I believe he'll compete for the starting job," Ivler said.
Chillar is the first free-agent signing this offseason by the Packers, who have taken a restrained approach to spending money on the market under general manager Ted Thompson.
The team has given contract extensions to several of its own marquee players but signed only one free agent last offseason, giving a one-year deal to backup cornerback Frank Walker. Walker signed with the Baltimore Ravens last week.
Green Bay also is in the market for a veteran backup quarterback after Brett Favre retired earlier this month, leaving the starting job to 2005 first-round pick Aaron Rodgers. The team reportedly has shown interest in Gus Frerotte and Quinn Gray.
The 6-foot-3, 242-pound Chillar started 15 games for the Rams last season, making 65 tackles, including 52 solos. He had a career-high 2½ sacks and three forced fumbles.
Chillar, 25, was a fourth-round pick out of UCLA in the 2004 draft by St. Louis.
The Rams reportedly were interested in keeping him, and he also drew interest from the Arizona Cardinals.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Jets release Holmes, create more cap space
- Staying in the nest: Seahawks retain Bennett
- Source: Steelers will release OLB Woodley
- 49ers to cut CB Rogers, according to source
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
2008 FREE AGENCY
NFL teams began shopping for free agents on Feb. 29, with approximately 320 players available. Randy Moss (right), one of the top free agents available, re-signed with the Pats.
• Free-agent tracker
Commentary/Features• Paolantonio: Raiders wasting cash on Hall
• Clayton: Raiders immersed in spending spree
• Yasinskas: Bucs spending wisely
• Third And Short: Free-agent analysis
• Clayton: Best remaining players
• Clayton: Top 10 free-agent gambles
• Yasinskas: Saints rolling dice on Vilma, Morgan
• Sando: Role players cashing in
• Yasinskas: Jets improved, but QB remains issue
• Yasinskas: Browns focused on winning
• Clayton: Moss-Patriots deal meant to be
• Clayton: Winners and losers
• Chadiha: Reese sets the standard for rookie GMs
• Yasinskas: Five aggressive teams in the market
• Pasquarelli: Big payoffs await less-heralded FAs
• Clayton: It's better to keep your own guys
• Research: Top 10 free agents of all time
• Yasinskas: Redskins to try new approach
• Joyner: Evaluating four big names
• Chadiha: Dealing with the franchise tag
• Panthers continue O-line makeover, sign Brown
• Browns help LB depth, sign Orr to 1-year contract March 20
• Pats agree to deal with CB Bryant
• Roundup: Rams re-sign Romberg March 19
• Packers agree with LB Chillar
• Bengals' Andrews signs franchise tender
• Punter Turk re-signs with Texans
• Colts keep defensive end Thomas with new deal
- Antigua Men's St. Louis Rams Pique Xtra-Lite Gold Polo
- NFL Home
- AFC East
- Buffalo Bills
- Miami Dolphins
- NE Patriots
- New York Jets
- AFC West
- Denver Broncos
- Kansas City Chiefs
- Oakland Raiders
- San Diego Chargers
- AFC North
- Baltimore Ravens
- Cincinnati Bengals
- Cleveland Browns
- Pittsburgh Steelers
- AFC South
- Houston Texans
- Indianapolis Colts
- Jacksonville Jaguars
- Tennessee Titans
- NFL Nation
- Free-Agent Tracker