Ford Field sues AAFL after league cancels first season
DETROIT -- Ford Field has sued the new All American Football League for about $1 million for canceled dates in what was to be its 2008 inaugural season.
The new league announced last week it was scrapping plans for the season and will continue to search for financial backing in 2009. League officials have said economic conditions forced the decision to scrap plans for this year.
The Detroit News reported Wednesday the league leased the Detroit stadium for five home games at a rate of $200,000 per date after paying a $75,000 deposit.
The league held its inaugural draft in January for six teams: Detroit; Little Rock, Ark; Gainesville, Fla.; Birmingham, Ala.; Knoxville, Tenn.; and Houston.
Messages seeking comment from league officials were left Wednesday night by The Associated Press.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Repetitive Lynch: 'Here so I won't get fined'
- Browner stands by comments on targeting
- Patriots' Blount: Seahawks D 'not immortal'
- Ex-Patriots RB Tatupu had CTE, family says