Patriots agree to one-year deal with Bryant
The Patriots, down two cornerbacks because of free agency hits, reached agreement with another veteran, Fernando Bryant, to give them a competitive stable of coverage players.
Bryant, who turns 31 next week, reached agreement on a one-year deal with the Patriots on Thursday morning. Bryant joins Jason Webster and Lewis Sanders as players who signed one-year deals to compete for a starting job with a Super Bowl contender.
The Patriots lost cornerbacks Asante Samuel to the Eagles and Randall Gay to the Saints. They also lost Eugene Wilson to Tampa Bay. Wilson was drafted as a cornerback but finished his Patriots career as a safety.
"Adding a cornerback with Fernando's experience and production is a good opportunity for us," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said.
Bryant was a first-round pick of the Jaguars in 1999 and he goes to the Patriots with plenty of experience. The 5-foot-11, 175-pounder had 109 career starts for the Jaguars and Lions. He spent the last four years in Detroit, starting 38 games. He was released at the start of free agency.
John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
2008 FREE AGENCY
NFL teams began shopping for free agents on Feb. 29, with approximately 320 players available. Randy Moss (right), one of the top free agents available, re-signed with the Pats.
• Free-agent tracker
Commentary/Features• Paolantonio: Raiders wasting cash on Hall
• Clayton: Raiders immersed in spending spree
• Yasinskas: Bucs spending wisely
• Third And Short: Free-agent analysis
• Clayton: Best remaining players
• Clayton: Top 10 free-agent gambles
• Yasinskas: Saints rolling dice on Vilma, Morgan
• Sando: Role players cashing in
• Yasinskas: Jets improved, but QB remains issue
• Yasinskas: Browns focused on winning
• Clayton: Moss-Patriots deal meant to be
• Clayton: Winners and losers
• Chadiha: Reese sets the standard for rookie GMs
• Yasinskas: Five aggressive teams in the market
• Pasquarelli: Big payoffs await less-heralded FAs
• Clayton: It's better to keep your own guys
• Research: Top 10 free agents of all time
• Yasinskas: Redskins to try new approach
• Joyner: Evaluating four big names
• Chadiha: Dealing with the franchise tag
• Panthers continue O-line makeover, sign Brown
• Browns help LB depth, sign Orr to 1-year contract March 20
• Pats agree to deal with CB Bryant
• Roundup: Rams re-sign Romberg March 19
• Packers agree with LB Chillar
• Bengals' Andrews signs franchise tender
• Punter Turk re-signs with Texans
• Colts keep defensive end Thomas with new deal