Ex-Texans WR Mathis has assault charges dropped
The 24-year-old player was charged last month with assaulting his pregnant 26-year-old common-law wife.
Erica Smith told Brazoria County deputies that Mathis had pushed her onto a bed and started choking her. But Brazoria County District Attorney Jeri Yenne said Smith later asked officials to drop the charges. The charges were dropped Thursday, and Yenne says Smith has since moved to another state.
Mathis spent the last season on the injured list. The Texans haven't renewed his contract, which makes him an unrestricted free agent.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Broncos sign WR Sanders to 3-year deal
- Texans' Foster medically cleared to return
- Source: Giants physical for Rodgers-Cromartie
- Ex-Seahawks CB Thurmond signs with Giants
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rico NFL Houston Texans Deluxe Grill Cover