Ex-Texans WR Mathis has assault charges dropped
The 24-year-old player was charged last month with assaulting his pregnant 26-year-old common-law wife.
Erica Smith told Brazoria County deputies that Mathis had pushed her onto a bed and started choking her. But Brazoria County District Attorney Jeri Yenne said Smith later asked officials to drop the charges. The charges were dropped Thursday, and Yenne says Smith has since moved to another state.
Mathis spent the last season on the injured list. The Texans haven't renewed his contract, which makes him an unrestricted free agent.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Crabtree responds to Sherman: Tired of talk
- Jones-Drew: London deserves an NFL team
- Johnson: Lions 'need to win a Super Bowl'
- Pack hold off Favre return, afraid of booing
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Houston Texans Emblem Grey Long Sleeve Shirt