Vikings refuse to address Packers' claims of Favre tampering
Vikings spokesman Bob Hagan issued a two-sentence statement on Thursday that said the Vikings "are not commenting on the issue. These types of matters are handled by the league."
The Packers filed a tampering charge with the league, contending Favre, who has asked the Packers for his release, has been talking with Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell. The two became friends when Bevell was an assistant coach with the Packers.
A source in Green Bay told ESPN.com's John Clayton the Packers believe they have a strong case against the Vikings. They believe the Vikings were willing to talk to Favre in order to cause chaos within the Packers family during the summer.
Another source suggested Favre might have had a conversation with Vikings coach Brad Childress.
NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Wednesday the league had no comment. The Vikings open the season in Green Bay.
Fellow NFL MVP LaDainian Tomlinson of the San Diego Chargers told Bloomberg Television he believes Favre was forced to retire before he was ready to.
"Brett Favre should have the opportunity to control his own destiny,'' the running back and 2006 MVP said Thursday. "If he wants to come back and play football, then let him come back. I think that he was forced to retire prematurely. He finally realized that's not what he wants to do."
"I think they are making a mistake," Tomlinson said of the Packers. "If they don't want [Favre] back, that's one thing. Release him, let him go to another team, but don't tell him he can come back but he's going to be a backup. That's not fair to Brett Favre and everything he's done for the organization."
On June 20, Favre, who retired on March 3, called Packers coach Mike McCarthy and told him he had the "itch" to return to the NFL. On Saturday, Packers general manager Ted Thompson said Favre could return to active status on the Packers if he comes out of retirement, but his role would not be determined. During Favre's retirement, Aaron Rodgers has been deemed Favre's successor.
The Packers said they were ready to welcome Favre back to the team later in March when Favre expressed reservations about his decision to retire, only to be assured by the quarterback that he was finished.
Favre has said that he felt pressured by the Packers to retire and now has been told that if he returns to Green Bay, he wouldn't necessarily get the starting job back.
If the Packers can prove the Vikings tampered with Favre, they could be subject to fines or a possible loss of a draft choice.
Childress called the situation a "soap opera," and said earlier this week that it's been interesting to watch, but he remained committed to going forward with Tarvaris Jackson as the Vikings' starting quarterback.
Bevell was not available to comment on Thursday and neither were any other Vikings officials, Hagan said.
Meanwhile, in Milwaukee, the Favre-Packers feud has begun to weigh on former players in addition to the fan base. Hall of Fame defensive end Willie Davis remains respectful of Favre's iconic status but believes the team has a need to move on.
"It is a bit of sadness," Davis said this week in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "And it's a bit of sadness because I know how much of a burden this places on everybody."
Davis, an emeritus member of the Packers' board of directors, played for Green Bay from 1960 to '69 and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1981. From his own experience, he knows how hard it can be for a player to know when to retire.
But he hasn't quite seen anything quite like this.
"It's not only a surprise to me," Davis said. "I cannot believe the magnitude of this thing."
John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Sources: Gordon faults second-hand smoke
- Police: Cards' Abraham passed out at wheel
- Man faces charges for Modell grave urination
- Ryan on Jets' big boasts: 'It's who we are'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
BRETT FAVRE SAGA: OVER
After pushing and pushing to keep playing either in Green Bay or elsewhere, Brett Favre's storied career will continue in 2008. The unretired quarterback has been traded by the Packers to the Jets.
NFC North blog | AFC East blog
News• Favre on offseason saga: 'I knew I wanted to play'
• Favre unlikely to play in Jets' preseason finale
• Report: Pack's Favre deal included souvenirs, blog
• On Day 5 with Jets, Favre says arm feels 'fatigued'
• Favre finally arrives in New York, meets mayor
• Rodgers: 'Still following Brett's legacy'
• Jets introduce Favre in Cleveland
• Favre era ends in Green Bay with trade to Jets
• Favre leaves Green Bay, destination unknown
• Favre: 'This probably isn't going to work'
• Favre flying under radar in Green Bay
• Favre: Reinstatement done, Green Bay flight set
• Favre mulling offer; NFL ruling put off again
• Favre actively weighing Packers' offer
• Report: Packers mull dealing Favre in division
• Team president meeting with Favre, agent
• Source: Favre files for reinstatement
• Rodgers takes over as starting QB
• Favre signs reinstatement letter, waits to send
• Favre won't report to Packers camp Sunday
• Sources: Favre, Packers talk trade destinations
• Favre support muted at shareholders meeting
• Report: Favre doesn't have team-issued phone
• Report: NFL security visits Vikings
• Favre questions likely from shareholders
• Packers reportedly weigh trade offers for Favre
• Favre returns to Lambeau Field
• Packers president supports GM, coach
• What they're saying about Favre
• Favre won't apply for reinstatement right away
• Sources: Packers claim Vikings tampered
• Favre may show up at camp
• Favre 'clears it up' in interview with Fox
• Few fans attend Favre rally in Milwaukee
• Pack fans rally, calling for Favre reinstatement
• Pack won't release Favre
• Sources: Favre seeks unconditional release
• Favre itching to return to field
Trade Commentary/Features• Clayton: History doesn't favor Favre, Jets
• Chadiha: Packers will be fine without Favre
• Wojciechowski: Divorce cause? Lack of trust
• Clayton: Deal is a downer for Favre
• Scouts Inc.: Jets now a playoff contender
• Clayton: Questions, answers on Favre trade
• Fantasy spin: Deal boosts value of many Jets
Other Commentary/Features• Clayton: 5 reasons Favre would start for Pack
• Mosley: Favre is QB turned ringmaster
• Wojciechowski: Favre and away the best solution
• Clayton: Favre wins ugly duel
• Clayton: It's a painful divorce
• Chadiha: Rodgers unfazed by Favre circus
• Yasinskas: Favre makes sense for Bucs
• Wojciechowski: Packers can't win this game
• Clayton: It's a delicate situation
• Wright Thompson: Catching Favre's fastballs
• Wojciechowski: What's the answer, Packers?
• Williamson: Where could he end up?
• Seifert: What happens after HOF QBs move on
• Paolantonio: Favre is overhyped
• Kiper: 2005 analysis of prospect Rodgers
• Madden '09 cover boy Favre to stay retired
• Thompson: Brett, we miss you already
• Wojciechowski: Worth the price of admission
• Price of signed Favre items to go up
• Yasinskas: Rodgers ready to take the reins
• FB Outsiders: Measuring Favre's greatness
• Sando: Gunslinger mentality defined Favre
• Yasinskas: Majkowski on Favre's legacy
• Clayton: Questions surrounding Favre
• Clayton: Packers will miss Favre's magic
• Chadiha: Favre will regret decision
• Keating: Favre just getting started
• Hashmarks: Favre fun-loving guy
• Burning Questions: Is Rodgers ready?
• Experts: Is Favre the best, or among them?
• Favre's top 10 moments
• Forde: Favre's flair for dramatic started in college
• Favre's rating in Mel Kiper's '91 draft guide
• Favre's hometown quiet on day of his retirement
• Sadness, shock envelops Green Bay
• Wounded Army officer has last ball thrown
• Around sports: What they're saying
• Fantasy spin: Rodgers not top-20 QB
• Scouts: Rodgers has talent to succeed
• Packers local: Complete hometown coverage
Video• Favre traded to Jets for conditional pick
• Jets GM on trade for Favre, imminent release of Pennington
• Steve Young on Favre's Jets future
• Cris Carter on what trade means to Jets?
• Schlereth: Exciting news for Jets
• Sal Pal on Favre's move to AFC
• Rachel Nichols on Favre's pre-trade mindset
• Favre interview: Part 3 | 2 | 1
SportsNation• How will Jets do with Favre behind center?
• Fans react to Favre's retirement
Photo Galleries• Favre flashback
• Top TD guns
• Top TD targets