- Pat Yasinskas, ESPN Staff Writer
- 0 Shares
"We are disappointed in the suspension of Jamar," Saints executive vice president and general manager Mickey Loomis said. "We will support Jamar through this and look forward to having him rejoin the team soon."
Nesbit, 31, had started every game for the Saints at left guard the last two seasons. He previously played for Jacksonville and Carolina. He'll be eligible to return to the active roster Oct. 20, a day after the Saints play Carolina.
According to The Times-Picayune of New Orleans, Nesbit said his failed drug test stemmed from his use of an over-the-counter product advertised as an all-natural body cleansing product. He said he had checked the ingredients against the NFL's banned substances list, but that an unidentified ingredient led to his failing a drug test.
"The NFL's policy is that I'm responsible for whatever I put in my body," Nesbit said, according to the report. "And to a certain extent, I understand the logic behind it. And I support the league in trying to keep the integrity of the sport clean. At the same time, I don't think this rule was meant to affect the Jamar Nesbits of the world -- or, I should say, the people that are trying to do the right thing.
"Hopefully people that know me or know of me know that I wouldn't try to cheat the game or cheat myself."
Pat Yasinskas covers the NFC South for ESPN.com.
21hESPN Stats & Information