Rams put TE McMichael on IR with broken leg, torn ligament
McMichael broke his tibia and tore a ligament in his leg in the Rams' 31-14 loss to Buffalo on Sept. 28. On Monday, the team put him on injured reserve, ending his 2008 season.
Third-year player Joe Klopfenstein will start beginning with Sunday's game at Washington (4-1). Klopfenstein started as a rookie in 2006 before the Rams signed McMichael as a free agent.
The Rams expected big things of McMichael in 2008 after what essentially amounted to a lost season in 2007. Because of the many injuries to the offensive line, McMichael often found himself as a glorified third tackle as he stayed in to block instead of catching passes.
After finishing with a career-low 39 catches in 2007, McMichael led the Rams in receiving in the first week against Philadelphia and had 11 catches for 139 yards in four games.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Rodgers not cleared, still under evaluation
- Broncos' Welker still not cleared to practice
- Source: Garvin fined $25K for hit on Huber
- Flacco to wear knee brace against Patriots
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's St. Louis Rams Legend Elite Logo Grey Performance T-Shirt