Romo's start streak to end at 32, but he'll be active for Cowboys

Updated: October 19, 2008, 1:29 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

ST. LOUIS -- Quarterback Tony Romo, who has a broken pinkie on his throwing hand, dressed as the Dallas Cowboys' backup behind 40-year-old Brad Johnson on Sunday.

The Cowboys' hope is that Romo will play only if Johnson is injured, a team source told ESPN's Ed Werder.

But the Cowboys are prepared to use Romo if the offense falters, as the team's main priority is to win the game, the source said.

Romo, who will not get a pain-killing injection, will wear a three-piece protective device over his broken finger, and the fractured portion of the finger is over the knuckle.

After Romo was hurt, the Cowboys anticipated he would be out a month. Johnson was set to make his first start since Dec. 17, 2006, for the Vikings.

St. Louis Rams offensive tackle Orlando Pace was inactive after injuring his thigh in the fourth quarter of last week's 19-17 victory at Washington. Adam Goldberg, who started two games at guard when Jacob Bell was out with a foot injury earlier in the season, started in place of Pace.

Cowboys cornerback Terence Newman (abdomen) and running back Felix Jones (hamstring) were inactive, although safety Roy Williams (broken forearm) was on the roster.

Rams wide receiver Dane Looker, who returned to practice this week after being sidelined with a brain abnormality, was inactive.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

ALSO SEE