Pierce unsure of further police contact
After Thursday's practice, Pierce acknowledged he spoke with authorities last week about the night Burress accidentally shot himself in the right thigh at a Manhattan nightclub.
The linebacker would not say whether police told him he had been cleared in the Nov. 29 incident at the Latin Quarter. He also was uncertain whether investigators would interview him again.
"If somebody is a lawyer who works in a police department and can give me that information, I would like to know, too," Pierce said. "But I don't know."
Michael Bachner, Pierce's attorney, did not immediately return a telephone call left by The Associated Press.
Burress faces charges of criminal possession of a weapon relating to the shooting. He pleaded not guilty. He is due back in court March 31.
The focus of the investigation last week was on Pierce's role in the incident.
Authorities were interested in why neither Pierce, who drove Burress to New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, nor Dr. Josyann Abisaab, the doctor who treated the receiver, called police to report the shooting.
Abisaab has since been suspended for not reporting the gunshot injury, as required by law.
Police said she was supposed to speak with authorities this week, but neither police and nor the district attorney's office has said when the meeting will take place.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Chiefs' Smith (spleen) out against Chargers
- Lynch fined $11K by NFL for obscene move
- Saints' Ryan: Defense 'drank the Kool-Aid'
- Shaw gets start for Browns; Hoyer likely out
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Plaxico Burress Suspended
With Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress facing weapons charges, the team followed up by suspending him for the rest of the season. Story
Commentary and Features• Chadiha: More Burresses to come
• Mosley: Giants tell Plax to take a seat
• Stephen A.: Another sad statistic
• Clayton: Five questions, answers
• Scouts: Giants will survive
• Mag: Taylor death scares players
Video• Watch: Countdown Daily on G-Men
Audio• Sal Paolantonio: How Burress situation differs
• Justin Tuck: Team can win without Burress
• Smith: Blame lies on Burress' shoulders
• Mike and Mike: Burress' legal woes
• Ditka: Playing in NFL a privilege
• Carter: Burress in for rude awakening
Past news• Plax in court over leased car damage
• Burress' May car accident came while uninsured
• Burress attends New York charity event
• Giants' Pierce unsure of further police contact
• Giants refuse to pay portion of bonus
• Dolphins' Porter defends Plax, need for firearms
• Union appeals suspension, fine of Burress
• Sources: Pierce likely active rest of '08
• Pierce speaks with investigators about Burress
• Pierce scheduled to meet with authorities Friday
• Pierce likely to play Sunday as probe continues
• Burress arrested on weapons charges
• Giants receiver Smith robbed at gunpoint
• Burress charged on 2 felony weapon counts
• Burress hires attorney after shooting
• Burress shot self by accident