Burress' car insurance lapsed for nonpayment of premiums days before wreck
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- Add this to the growing list of Plaxico Burress' problems: getting in a car crash and not having insurance on his nearly $140,000 Mercedes-Benz.
The suspended New York Giants wide receiver was sued last week in Florida's Broward County Circuit Court for rear-ending a woman in May.
Compounding the Super Bowl star's defense, according to a document provided by the woman's attorney, is the fact his car insurance lapsed three days before the crash. A letter from Allstate says Burress neglected to pay his premiums.
Burress' attorney, Adam Swickle, declined comment.
Burress is still serving a team suspension for shooting himself Nov. 29 in a nightclub with an illegally carried handgun. Burress shot himself at the Latin Quarter when he accidentally pulled the trigger on the .40-caliber Glock that was in his pants after fumbling a drink.
Teammate Antonio Pierce took the Burress to New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center for treatment.
Burress pleaded not guilty and was released on $100,000 bail. He is due back in court March 31.
He was placed on the team's suspended/non-football injury list, and the NFL Players Association filed a grievance. The union said the Giants violated the collective bargaining agreement when they placed Burress on that list, suspended him for the final four games of the regular season and fined him an additional week's salary for conduct detrimental to the team.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
Plaxico Burress Suspended
With Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress facing weapons charges, the team followed up by suspending him for the rest of the season. Story
Commentary and Features• Chadiha: More Burresses to come
• Mosley: Giants tell Plax to take a seat
• Stephen A.: Another sad statistic
• Clayton: Five questions, answers
• Scouts: Giants will survive
• Mag: Taylor death scares players
Video• Watch: Countdown Daily on G-Men
Audio• Sal Paolantonio: How Burress situation differs
• Justin Tuck: Team can win without Burress
• Smith: Blame lies on Burress' shoulders
• Mike and Mike: Burress' legal woes
• Ditka: Playing in NFL a privilege
• Carter: Burress in for rude awakening
Past news• Plax in court over leased car damage
• Burress' May car accident came while uninsured
• Burress attends New York charity event
• Giants' Pierce unsure of further police contact
• Giants refuse to pay portion of bonus
• Dolphins' Porter defends Plax, need for firearms
• Union appeals suspension, fine of Burress
• Sources: Pierce likely active rest of '08
• Pierce speaks with investigators about Burress
• Pierce scheduled to meet with authorities Friday
• Pierce likely to play Sunday as probe continues
• Burress arrested on weapons charges
• Giants receiver Smith robbed at gunpoint
• Burress charged on 2 felony weapon counts
• Burress hires attorney after shooting
• Burress shot self by accident