Mayo is AP's top defensive rookie
NEW YORK -- Jerod Mayo firmly answered everyone who criticized the New England Patriots for taking him with the 10th pick in April's draft by winning The Associated Press 2008 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year award.
"Jerod's done a lot for us," coach Bill Belichick said. "We've asked a lot of him and from Day 1 he's really been a well-prepared, very mature player who can do a lot of things: play the running game, play in the passing game, blitz, helps us in the kicking game."He's smart, makes a lot of defensive adjustments and calls for us there. He runs well. He's tough. He's a good all-around football player, very mature, very professional. For a rookie, he's probably as professional as anybody I've coached."
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Seahawks to host Packers in season opener
- Giants-Lions, Chargers-Cards to open MNF
- No winner in Rams' schedule-guessing game
- Source: Manziel on Bucs' short list at No. 7
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Home Game Jersey New England Patriots Jerod Mayo #51