Stallworth working out with Browns
Donte Stallworth has returned to Cleveland and has been working out in the Browns' voluntary offseason conditioning program while police in Miami Beach continue to probe his involvement in a fatal car-pedestrian accident, The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer reported.
Stallworth's attorney, Chris Lyons, told the newspaper that Stallworth returned to Cleveland earlier this week.
"Donte reported to the Browns on Wednesday morning and he's been welcomed back by everyone -- his teammates, the management, the coaching staff, and they've all been extremely supportive," Lyons said, according to the report. "It's been good for him to get back to work."
Police in Miami Beach said they are still awaiting toxicology results that could result in criminal charges against the wide receiver, the newspaper reported. Police said it was unlikely they would receive the toxicology report during the weekend, meaning any charges against Stallworth might have to wait until Monday or Tuesday at the earliest, according to the Plain Dealer.
In the meantime, police are continuing to refute South Florida-area media reports that test results showed Stallworth's blood-alcohol level was above the Florida legal limit of .08 percent.
"Right now, we don't have the results and we don't have anything to release," Miami Beach police officer Deborah Doty said, according to The Plain Dealer. "There are a lot of rumors going around and it's unfortunate. People have to respect that there is a person who is deceased."
Lyons said Saturday that neither police nor the state attorney's office have released the results of toxicology tests, and neither has said specifically when they will be released.
A Miami Beach police spokesman didn't return an e-mail or phone message from The Associated Press on Saturday.
The Miami Herald and local TV news outlets, citing unnamed people, have reported that Stallworth's blood-alcohol level was above Florida's legal limit.
Stallworth has not been charged with a crime in the death of Mario Reyes, a 59-year-old Miami man who was struck by Stallworth's Bentley on a Miami Beach street early the morning of March 14.
"My family and I are grief-stricken over the tragic accident which occurred Saturday on Miami Beach where Mario Reyes sadly lost his life," Stallworth said in a prepared statement released earlier in the week by the Browns. "My thoughts and prayers are with the Reyes family during this incredibly difficult time."
Lyons said he has remained in close contact with Stallworth and that police in Miami Beach are aware of Stallworth's whereabouts, according to the Plain Dealer.
"He's going to stay up there and keep working out and getting himself in the best condition he can," Lyons said, the newspaper reported. "At the same time, Donte and his family have been respectful of Mr. Reyes' family, and he's always mindful that Mr. Reyes lost his life."
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Rodgers still not ready to return for Packers
- Welker likely out until playoffs, sources say
- Vikes' Peterson 'ready to roll' vs. Bengals
- Bears' Briggs medically cleared to return
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Little Earth Cleveland Browns Cross-Body Orange Sheen Purse