New Orleans seeks 2013 Super Bowl
NEW ORLEANS -- The New Orleans Saints and the Greater New Orleans Sports Foundation have submitted a bid to host the 2013 Super Bowl.
A look back at Super Bowl XXXVI which pitted the St. Louis Rams and the New England Patriots in 2002.
New Orleans has hosted nine Super Bowls, but none since 2002. The bid marks the city's first attempt to bring back the NFL's championship game since Hurricane Katrina struck in 2005.
The state and the Saints are negotiating to extend the team's Louisiana Superdome lease through 2025. Saints officials are optimistic the new lease will be in place by the time the NFL votes in May on where to award the 2013 Super Bowl.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Rodgers not cleared, still under evaluation
- Broncos' Welker still not cleared to practice
- Source: Garvin fined $25K for hit on Huber
- Flacco to wear knee brace against Patriots
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Authentic Street Signs New Orleans Saints Avenue Sign