Whitner pleads not guilty in Cleveland
The former Ohio State player was charged April 13 with aggravated disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. Whitner made a brief appearance Tuesday in Cleveland Municipal Court.
A preliminary hearing will be set on the charges. Whitner left the courtroom without commenting.
Police said they used a stun gun on the 23-year-old and handcuffed him when he tried to force his way past officers trying to control a crowd outside a nightclub on April 11. They said it was unclear why he was trying to leave the club and head for the melee outside.
Since then, Whitner has apologized.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Crabtree responds to Sherman: Tired of talk
- Jones-Drew: London deserves an NFL team
- Johnson: Lions 'need to win a Super Bowl'
- Pack hold off Favre return, afraid of booing
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's Home Game Jersey Buffalo Bills Mario Williams #94