Whitner pleads not guilty in Cleveland
The former Ohio State player was charged April 13 with aggravated disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. Whitner made a brief appearance Tuesday in Cleveland Municipal Court.
A preliminary hearing will be set on the charges. Whitner left the courtroom without commenting.
Police said they used a stun gun on the 23-year-old and handcuffed him when he tried to force his way past officers trying to control a crowd outside a nightclub on April 11. They said it was unclear why he was trying to leave the club and head for the melee outside.
Since then, Whitner has apologized.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Broncos' Bowlen has Alzheimer's, steps down
- Davis ends holdout, reports to 49ers camp
- Belichick: Gronkowski cleared by doctors
- Rams coach: Sam 'absolutely not' distraction
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Northwest Buffalo Bills Bean Bag