Whitner pleads not guilty in Cleveland
The former Ohio State player was charged April 13 with aggravated disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. Whitner made a brief appearance Tuesday in Cleveland Municipal Court.
A preliminary hearing will be set on the charges. Whitner left the courtroom without commenting.
Police said they used a stun gun on the 23-year-old and handcuffed him when he tried to force his way past officers trying to control a crowd outside a nightclub on April 11. They said it was unclear why he was trying to leave the club and head for the melee outside.
Since then, Whitner has apologized.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Seahawks' Lynch plans holdout over contract
- 49ers' Smith: I've stayed sober since Sept.
- NFL suspends Ravens RB Rice for 2 games
- Romo says his best football is yet to come
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New Era Women's Buffalo Bills Breast Cancer Awareness 9Forty Adjustable Hat