Source: Safety McGowan, Pats agree
At the age of 25, McGowan was one of the youngest experienced safeties on the market.
An undrafted free agent from Maine who made the Bears roster in 2005, McGowan started three games as a rookie. His best season was 2007 when he started nine games, had 68 total tackles and intercepted two passes.
An ankle injury forced McGowan to miss most of last season with the Bears.
John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Peterson just 'having fun' with Sherman feud
- NFL on Gordon: Culpable for what's in body
- Romo unsure he'll play in preseason opener
- Ravens' Harbaugh: Proud of Rice's response
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Tervis New England Patriots 24 oz Legacy Logo Tumbler