Franks released by Jets
Franks caught six passes for 47 yards in eight games, including four starts, after signing with the Jets last season. He missed eight games due to a hip injury, and was unable to participate in offseason practices and minicamp because of a knee injury after re-signing with New York.
The move Monday leaves the Jets with Dustin Keller, who had a promising rookie season, and undrafted free agents J'Nathan Bullock and Jack Simmons as the only tight ends on the roster. James Dearth, who began his career as a tight end, works exclusively as the team's long snapper.
Franks has 262 receptions for 2,347 yards and 32 touchdowns in nine seasons, including eight with Green Bay.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Lynch offers statement, doesn't answer Q's
- 'Beast Mode' pop-up store doing brisk sales
- Gordon fires at critics in letter: I'm no addict
- Player: Seahawks miffed over HGH tests
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Home Game Jersey New York Jets Chris Johnson #21