Vikings QBs ready to compete
Now that Brett Favre is out of the picture, the focus in Minnesota Vikings camp turns to the quarterbacks the team had hoped Favre would supplant as the starter. But Sage Rosenfels and Tarvaris Jackson are saying they understood the situation all along -- and are ready to compete for the starting job.
According to the St. Paul Pioneer Press, Rosenfels recounted that in one of the Vikings' last organized team activity sessions, coach Brad Childress told his quarterbacks they should prepare as if Favre would not be joining the team.
"He said: 'I'm not sure what's going to happen. But prepare as if he's not coming,'" Rosenfels said, according to the report. "I would have done that, either way."
Tuesday, Favre, who had been courted by Vikings coaches and players alike, informed the team that after months of soul-searching, he had decided to stay retired.
If Favre had come to Minnesota, "It would have been a tough pill to swallow," Rosenfels said, according to the report. "But I understood what was going on."
Rosenfels, whom the Vikings acquired in a trade with the Houston Texans before the Favre-to-Minnesota frenzy began, said his coaches and teammates don't owe him any explanations.
"I don't think it's necessary because I understand the situation," Rosenfels said, according to the report. "I've been around the league long enough. ... I feel no animosity toward players or coaches."
Jackson began last season as the Vikings' starter, was benched for Gus Frerotte and then returned to lead the Vikings to the NFC North title and the first round of the playoffs.
Jackson wasn't available for comment Tuesday, the Pioneer Press reported. But his agent, Joel Segal, told reporters that Jackson is ready to compete for the starting job and has no issues with the team's courting of Favre.
"Tarvaris is very even-tempered," the agent said. "He's got a very calm demeanor. No matter what he's always ready to compete."
Rosenfels said the constant speculation about Favre was a source of frustration, but did not affect his offseason preparation, according to the Pioneer Press. He said he would let his play in practices and games do the talking for him.
"Players will see how I react to this," he said, according to the report. "But we're back to where we were. I'm preparing to battle with Tarvaris. The whole story was a non-issue."
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Giants RB Wilson cleared for full practices
- Pettine: Manziel's behavior will be 'non-story'
- Retirees ask judge to reverse concussion ruling
- Favre not worried about boos at Lambeau