Lions waiting for decision on Jackson
Mayhew says Friday that Goodell had indicated he would make a decision about Detroit's defensive tackle "well before" the season starts.
Jackson was on a list of players last season accused of using a diuretic, which can serve as a masking agent for steroids. He was not suspended.
The NFL Players Association has a federal appeal pending in an attempt to aid Kevin Williams and Pat Williams of the Minnesota Vikings and three other players suspended for the same alleged violation. The other players are New Orleans' Charles Grant and Will Smith and former Saint Deuce McAllister.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Crabtree responds to Sherman: Tired of talk
- Jones-Drew: London deserves an NFL team
- Johnson: Lions 'need to win a Super Bowl'
- Pack hold off Favre return, afraid of booing
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
PRESEASON NFL COVERAGE
AFC CAMP CONFIDENTIAL
NFC CAMP CONFIDENTIAL
- Detroit Lions Grey Lanyard