WINNIPEG, Manitoba -- Adam "Pacman" Jones won't be playing for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers after all.
The CFL team announced Wednesday it has ended its pursuit of the controversial ex-NFL cornerback, one day after multiple reports said Jones had agreed to a one-year contract with the team.
"It is unfortunate that this situation became public; however, our position has remained consistent," Blue Bombers coach Mike Kelly said in a statement. "We will pursue athletes that we believe will contribute to our organization on and off the field.
"We have completed our assessment and due diligence and at this time we will not be pursuing the services of Adam Jones."
Jones' attorney, Worrick Robinson, told The Associated Press on Tuesday he had been in "consistent negotiations" with a CFL team, but wouldn't say which one.
Jones is a former first-round draft pick of the Tennessee Titans who has twice been suspended by the NFL for off-field incidents -- including for the entire 2007 season -- and was released in February by the Dallas Cowboys.
Before coming to Dallas, Jones was arrested six times and involved in 12 instances requiring police intervention after Tennessee drafted him in 2005. He was suspended by commissioner Roger Goodell for the 2007 season before he got in trouble again.
The cornerback's time with the Cowboys was cut short by six games for another behavior-related suspension, an off-field scuffle with a member of the security detail provided by the team.
Jones, who turns 26 at the end of this month, also drew interest from the UFL, the new four-team league scheduled to begin play in October.