Saints' Brown off field several weeks
Friday's surgery was the second for Brown. Saints coach Sean Payton said that Brown had also undergone successful sports hernia surgery. Payton said Brown is "having a scope on his left hip."
Jermon Bushrod, a 2007 draft pick from Towson, will get his first' career start in Sunday's opening game against Detroit.
Payton says he's not sure when Brown started having problems with the hip.
Brown hasn't been with the Saints since leaving Houston midway through the team's trip to practice against the Texans in mid-August. He left the preseason trip to get checked for the hernia.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Manziel admits to offseason 'rookie mistakes'
- Seahawks' Carroll: Wish Lynch was with us
- Source: Colts RB Ballard suffers torn Achilles
- Veteran Nicks, Bucs 'mutually agree' to part
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New Orleans Saints Wall Mount Bottle Opener