Jets waive Cole to make room for Ellis
Ellis was suspended for the first game of the season and fined $100,000 by the NFL for violating the league's substance-abuse policy last season.
Ellis was arrested last November and charged with possession of marijuana, speeding and driving without insurance after being pulled over by police in Hanover, N.J., a few miles from the team's training facility in Florham Park.
He's expected to play in the Jets' home opener against New England on Sunday.
Cole, signed as a free agent in February, was inactive for the Jets' 24-7 win at Houston on Sunday.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Mo' money: NFL teams split $6B in revenue
- Crabtree responds to Sherman: Tired of talk
- Report: Raiders in talks to demolish Coliseum
- NFL supplemental draft passes without a pick
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New York Jets Snap-On iPhone 5 Case