Half-ton statue gone day after unveiling
The project's creator, Therese Forton-Barnes, says the 8½-foot statue carved from a fallen pine tree weighs more than 1,000 pounds and it took a crane to get it set up for Sunday's event. She says it would have taken several strong people with a flatbed truck to remove it. It's unclear when it disappeared.
Orchard Park police are investigating.
The statue was unveiled before Sunday's Bills game against the Browns. It's the 34th in a fundraising series that grew out of a 2006 snowstorm that toppled thousands of trees. The carvings feature celebrities, animals and historical figures.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Bengals extend Lewis' contract through '15
- Lions retain Pettigrew with 4-year contract
- Sources: Ravens keep LB Smith for $16.1M
- Titans, Woodyard agree to multiyear contract
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Tervis Buffalo Bills 24 oz Polka Dot Tumbler