Wesley tossed; Smith has concussion
TAMPA, Fla. -- Carolina Panthers safety Dante Wesley was ejected late in the first half of Sunday's game against Tampa Bay when he launched himself into Buccaneers punt returner Clifton Smith, who had signaled for a fair catch.
The hit with 10 seconds left in the second quarter brought players from both teams off the sidelines. No penalties resulted from the pushing and shoving between the NFC South rivals.
Smith remained on the ground for a few minutes, then was helped to his feet and walked off the field.
Wesley appeared to leave his feet and hit Smith in the upper body with his left shoulder. The Panthers were penalized 15 yards.
The Bucs said at halftime that Smith had a concussion and would miss the remainder of the game.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- He's serious: Trump wants to purchase Bills
- Ex-Titans running back Johnson visits Jets
- Source: Flynn returning to Pack on new deal
- Report: McClain struggles in Ravens workout
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
NFL WEEK 6 COVERAGE
- FANMATS Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Carpet Tiles