DA says next update later in week
There won't be an announcement made in the Tom Cable case until later in the week, at the earliest.
In a taped phone message on a media hotline, Napa, Calif., District Attorney Gary Lieberstein said Monday afternoon that the next update will be given either Wednesday or Thursday. Last week, Lieberstein said his next update would be Monday. He said his office will take all the time it needs before making a decision on whether to charge the Raiders' head coach on assault charges. The Napa police gave the DA's office the case two weeks ago.
Oakland defensive assistant Randy Hanson maintains that Cable assaulted him and he suffered a broken jaw in the incident, which allegedly occurred Aug. 5 at the Raiders' training camp. Cable has denied the account. He could face felony charges.
Bill Williamson covers the AFC West for ESPN.com.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Steve Smith reaches 3-year deal with Ravens
- Colts strike deal with former Giants WR Nicks
- Pats reach deal with suspended CB Browner
- Spikes agrees to contract terms with Buffalo
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Little Earth Oakland Raiders Cross-Body Black Sheen Purse