Chargers sign Runyan to replace Clary
Clary injured a ligament in his left ankle in Sunday's 32-3 win at Denver.
Runyan hasn't played since the end of last season. He wasn't re-signed by the Philadelphia Eagles after having microfracture surgery on his right knee.
Runyan never missed a game in nine years with the Eagles, starting 192 straight regular-season games.
He turns 36 on Friday.
General manager A.J. Smith and coach Norv Turner didn't immediately return calls seeking comment Tuesday evening.
Earlier this month, Runyan said he's considering running for Congress in New Jersey's 3rd District.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Pack sign WR Nelson to contract extension
- Jaguars WR Shorts out with hamstring strain
- Johnny Manziel: I've made 'rookie mistakes'
- Seahawks' Carroll: Wish Lynch was with us
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
NFL WEEK 12 PREVIEW
HOT READ: Jim Caldwell
MNF/SUPERDOME SHOWDOWN: Pats-Saints
- NFL Team Apparel Youth San Diego Chargers Explosive Performance Navy T-Shirt