Charge dropped against Beason
Mecklenburg Assistant District Attorney Bruce Lillie said Friday that no witnesses in a Charlotte strip club last month saw Beason throw a punch.
Beason was arrested after 29-year-old Gregory Frye told a judge the linebacker hit him in the face at a Charlotte strip club on Nov. 16. Frye sued Beason for more than $10,000 in damages a day later.
Lillie says the only evidence against Beason was Frye's statement.
The Panthers let Beason continue to play, and the team says it's pleased the charge was dropped.
Beason's attorney George Laughrun says the linebacker is glad prosecutors restored his good name.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Sources: Jets, ex-Titans RB Johnson agree
- Peyton ready to move on from Super Bowl
- Source: QB Freeman, Giants agree to deal
- Source: WR Rice, Seahawks agree to deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- GameWear Carolina Panthers NFL Classic Team Football Keychain