Carney sticks with Saints in new role
METAIRIE, La. -- Two days after waiving veteran kicker John Carney, the Saints have brought him back as a kicking consultant.
Saints coach Sean Payton announced the move after Thursday's practice. Payton says the 45-year-old Carney's knowledge of the game from his 21 years of playing experience will be invaluable to second-year place kicker Garrett Hartley.
By accepting the job, Carney may not under NFL rules kick for the Saints or any other team for the rest of this season.
Carney played in 11 games this season, making 13 of 17 field goals and 50 of 52 point-after tries.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Colts owner Irsay faces four felony counts
- Broncos sign WR Sanders to 3-year deal
- Texans' Foster medically cleared to return
- Saints bring back RT Strief on five-year deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
NFL WEEK 16 PREVIEW
HOT READ: CHARLES WOODSON
STOCK WATCH: Fallers, risers
- The Highland Mint New Orleans Saints Mercedes-Benz Superdome Signature Stadium Photo